[Tutor] Best version for novice

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Feb 2 02:20:53 CET 2014

On Sat, Feb 01, 2014 at 06:41:10PM +0000, Ian D wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is it better to use python 3 as a newcomer who isn't really going to
> be writing any software as such just using it for learning?

Yes, you should use Python 3, with one proviso: many tutorials,
especially the older ones, are based on Python 2. That means that you
either need to find another tutorial, or mentally adjust from Python 2
to 3 when you read it. That's easy for an experienced user, but perhaps
not for a beginner.

The differences aren't really that great, no more different than between
(say) British English and American English, but it may be disconcerting
for somebody who isn't confident with the language.

Python 3 is the future of Python. All improvements are going into 3, 2
is only getting bug fixes. If you aren't *required* to stick with Python
2 for some reason, you should use 3.

> Also in 2.7 I use no subprocess by giving my python exe a -n argument,
> otherwise my canvas program's freeze.

I'm afraid that I have no idea what you are talking about here, Python
doesn't accept a -n argument:

[steve at ando ~]$ python2.7 -n
Unknown option: -n
usage: python2.7 [option] ... [-c cmd | -m mod | file | -] [arg] ...
Try `python -h' for more information.

Regards,

--
Steven