[Tutor] Which computer operating system is best for Python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 6 00:13:29 CET 2014

On 05/02/14 18:34, Colin Chinsammy wrote:
> I am considering purchasing the Acer c720 chromebook for my 13yo to
> begin learning Python for Kids. Obviously I am on a budget.

I wouldn't consider a Chromebpook for anyone learning programming.
They are fine for folks who are happy to do everything "in the cloud"
but programming is not one of the things that works well there IMHO.

A netbook or basic laptop is a little more expensive but
much more powerful and flexible. It doesn't need to be state
of the art or even a latest generation model but the ability
to install and run programs locally is crucial.

I don't know about prices in the US but the difference in
price between a Chromebook and a basic laptop/netbook in
the UK is less than 25%. The Chromebook may look sexier
but it's far less useful to a wannabe programmer.

hth
--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site