[Tutor] Which computer operating system is best for Python

Tim Krupinski tdkrupinski at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 02:51:51 CET 2014

I would agree with David and others.  For programming, a chromebook would
not be a good choice because you can't install any type of development
environment onto the machine itself.  Get something with a big screen and,
preferably a full keyboard - I'm talking full size in the sense that you
have the numeric keypad to the right.  Unless you look a little deeper most
options available will be windows based.  Not a problem - I would recommend
using a piece of software called "Virtualbox".  It is freely available and
distributed by Oracle.  It will allow you to install a Linux operating
system on a "Virtual" machine that runs within windows.  While this may
seem complicated to somebody without experience in this area, there are
great tutorials on this and the process is much more straightforward than
it was just a couple years ago.

The reason I suggest Linux is because a lot of Python is used in it
already.  Once it's installed, you are ready to go.  Also, a lot of
documentation you find on how to set up and configure a Python environment
assumes you are using Linux.  While Windows isn't entirely dissimilar,
there are a few key differences which could make it more frustrating to
navigate for first time users.  Plus, most popular distributions make it *very
*easy to install python addons and libraries.  As an ancillary benefit,
your child will also be learning Linux as he learns to program.