[Tutor] Recommendation For A Complete Noob

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 00:56:33 CET 2014

On 02/09/2014 11:37 PM, Altrius wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m completely new to programming in general and everything I have read so far has pointed me to Python. I’ll put this another way: All I know is that a programming language is a medium for a human to tell a computer what to do. After that I’m kinda lost. I was just hoping to get some input as to where I might start. I’m not completely computer illiterate but you can reply to me as if I am. What should I work on learning first. I’m good at doing my own research and teaching myself but I need to know what I’m researching and where to start. Any advice would be VERY much appreciated.

Welcome!

I would recommend "Learning to Program" (using Python) by Alan Gauld, a member
of this mailing list:
	http://www.alan-g.me.uk/
Unlike most tutorials, this one is *really* for beginners (not for people only
new to python, not supposed to be for beginners but by an author unable to
imagine beginner questions). There are versions for Python 2 & 3. Since you
start, use version 3, as it is the future of the language (however, it is not
easier, rather somewhat more abstract, but you won't meet the new difficulties
before quite a long time).

A few recommandations (very subjective):
* Take your time.
* Follow your drive and intuitions.
* Have fun, don't force.
Also: ask questions and/or search about the numerous enigmas you will step on.