[Tutor] Beginner - explaining 'Flip a coin' bug

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Wed Feb 12 23:26:26 CET 2014

 Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> Wrote in message:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 02:08:17PM -0500, Dave Angel wrote:
>>  Marc Eymard <marc_eymard at hotmail.com> Wrote in message:
>> >
>> Next time please post in text form rather than html, and actually
>>  include the code you're asking us to comment on.
>
> Dave, your tools are letting you down. Marc did post in text, and did
> include his code, as you can see from the multipart attachments to his
> email:
>
>   I     1 <no description>        [multipa/alternativ, 7bit, 2.0K]
>   I     2 ├─><no description>     [text/plain, quoted, iso-8859-1, 0.7K]
>   I     3 └─><no description>     [text/html, quoted, iso-8859-1, 1.0K]
>   A     4 coinflip.py             [text/x-script.p, base64, us-ascii, 0.6K]
>   A     5 coinflip_WRONG.py       [text/x-script.p, base64, us-ascii, 0.6K]
>   I     6 <no description>        [text/plain, 7bit, us-ascii, 0.2K]
>

> Perhaps it is time for you to give up on whatever tool you are using to
> read this mailing list, or at least to change your assumption when you
> see a contentless message from "Original poster didn't send email" to "I
> can't see the email".

He posted in html and included two attachments.  His email program
 added added a text version, which we know is frequently bogus.
 The nntp news system tossed the attachments,  I believe.

Now,  my newsreader (nntp NewsReader,  which is the best I've
 found for my tablet) has bugs, but not as important as the ones
 I've stopped using. I can read the html version of the email, but
 when replying it quotes none of it. Sometimes I just give up,
 sometimes I use copypaste and sometimes I just mention it. But I
 don't mention it anymore if it's the only thing I have to
 say.

Are you recommending we ignore newsreader usage, or am I permitted
 to object to attachments?
Do you have another suggestion for me, other than:

1) switch to googlegroups
2) read and post only occasionally,  when I get back to my laptop
3) write my own reader that runs on the Android

--
DaveA