[Tutor] How to perform a google advanced search using python

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Feb 24 16:40:48 CET 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 04:37:36PM +0800, Xenai Hatsotep wrote:

> I have a python program which performs a simple google search. What i
> really want to do is perform an advanced search such that i can search
> for pdf files and ppt files in google. Any help on this subject would
> be very helpful.

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you, but I have a warning. I am pretty
sure that what you are doing is against Google's terms of service, and
if they spot what you are doing they might ban you. I believe that they
have an official API for doing searches programmatically.

Ah yes, here you go:

https://developers.google.com/custom-search/?csw=1

You might also consider Duck Duck Go:

https://duckduckgo.com/api