[Tutor] lists of lists: more Chutes & Ladders!

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 08:55:24 CET 2014

On 01/01/2014 07:13 AM, eryksun wrote:
>> >I'm afraid I've lost the context, and don't understand why this is
>> >important. It's true that not all built-in objects are in builtins, and
>> >not all objects in builtins are built-in, but other than for pedantic
>> >correctness, why does this matter?
> Denis said:
>
>> >"iter" is also the name of a builtin function, like "print"
> My point was that the issue with iter is a namespace issue. It doesn't
> matter that it's a built-in function like "print". Denis could have
> meant that either way, so I thought it important to clarify. Why? A
> while back there was a thread on the list confusing "built-in"
> functions/methods in the io module and the builtins namespace, and
> there was even an erroneous bug report filed on a doc string.
>
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/2013-June/096218.html
> http://bugs.python.org/issue18249

You are very right, eryksyn, I was not clear at all, in fact it was not clear in
my knowledge.

My point was: `iter` the func exists in python (built-in with '-'), one may use
it at times. Giving an application var this name hides, which accosionnally
leads to bugs. I have been bitten by such a bug more than once in the past, and
once hard to find, asp. with the built-in func `range` (a very tempting var
name, isn't it?).

Denis