[Tutor] ubuntu hassles.

eryksun eryksun at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 01:40:02 CET 2014

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 11:38 AM, Matthew Ngaha <chigga101 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2) I really need to use virtualenv for python3.2. The problem is
> python3.3 seems to be the default and overrides every virtualenv thing
> i try doing. whether it is pyvenv or virtualenv, the 3.3 version takes
> priority. It is located in /usr/local/bin  ... I have no idea where my
> 3.2 virtualenv is located although i know i definately installed it
> with :
>               sudo apt-get install python-virtualenv

virtualenv allows you to specify the target Python:

    virtualenv --python=/usr/bin/python3.3 myenv

Refer to `man virtualenv` for more options.

FYI, here are some commands to introspect a Debian package in the shell:

    apt-cache search virtualenv        # find packages
    apt-cache show python-virtualenv   # description
    apt-cache policy python-virtualenv # installed version

    apt-file show python-virtualenv    # list files

Or use synaptic if you prefer a GUI interface.

> 1) I'm new to ubuntu and someone helped me install python3.3 from
> source. I've tried 'make uninstall' from the dir containing the source
> package but it seems there is no way to get this version off my
> computer.

Ubuntu has a Python 3.3 package. Installation should be simple:

    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get install python3.3

If you're building from source, or need to uninstall after a previous
`make install`, use checkinstall to build a package.

Start by installing dependencies.

    $ sudo -s
    # apt-get update
    # apt-get build-dep python3
    # apt-get install checkinstall

Change to the source directory to configure and build Python.

    # ./configure
    # make clean
    # make
    # make test

Installation defaults to /usr/local. Use the configure option
`--prefix` to target a different directory. Obviously you want to
leave the default if your goal is to uninstall a previous installation
that used the defaults. Refer to `./configure --help` for more
options.

Run checkinstall to create and install a Debian package (-D):

    # checkinstall -D --default --fstrans=no\
    --pkgname=python3.3-local --pkgversion=3.3.3-1\
    make install

Omit `--default` if you don't want the default answers to prompts. In
my experience, filesystem translation (fstrans) has to be disabled to
install Python. Change the last part to `make altinstall` if you want
the major and minor version number used for the files in
/usr/local/bin (e.g. pyvenv-3.3). It's a good idea, but obviously not
if your goal is to uninstall a previous "make install".

When it's finished installing, checkinstall should print the path to
the .deb file and also the command you'll need to uninstall the
package, such as:

    # dpkg -r python3.3-local