[Tutor] python query

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 11 22:26:41 CET 2014

On 11/01/14 18:53, Reuben wrote:

> I would like to know the difference between GUI programming v/s web
> designing...To be more specific lets compare Django(used for web
> programming) v/s Tkinter(used for GUI programming)

What do you mean by the difference in programming? Do you want to know
about the programming paradigms or the difference in deployment or the
difference in the nature of the apps (I hope you already understand that
but maybe not...)

Django is on the web so all the interactions take place over a network.
The UI is displayed in a browser which interprets HTML sent from the
server. Because of the relatively long latency between client and server
web apps tend to be slower and less responsive than
desktop apps. To get round that they tend to cram more into a single
screen. More modern apps also move a lot of functionality into
Javascript on the browser and rely on lightweight protocols like JSON to
fetch data from the server(this is known as Ajax style programming)

Tkinter is a desktop GUI toolkit where the application responds to users
events and draws pictures(widgets) on the screen. All logic
and display happens locally, although some apps communicate with a
server somewhere (this is called client server design).

OK, That's a start, what specifically do you want beyond that?

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site