[Tutor] code works in windows command but not ubuntu terminal

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Jan 26 02:12:32 CET 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 09:11:56AM +0100, spir wrote:

> As a foreigner, I noticed that english native speakers use both the series
> round / square / curly / angle brackets, and individual terms parens (no
> 'd' ;-) / brackets / braces / chevrons. No major issue, except for
> 'brackets' which can be either a collective term or specific to [].

In the UK and Australia, "brackets" on its own refers to round brackets
(parentheses), as they are the most common form. We never use "brackets"
on its own to mean [], but only (), and the only time we bother to say
"round brackets" is when there is a need to disambiguate them from
square ones.

--
Steven