[Tutor] Swampy: No module name World

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 3 20:00:22 CEST 2014

On 03/06/2014 17:44, Marc Tompkins wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 7:53 AM, Charles Agriesti <dragriesti at comcast.net
> <mailto:dragriesti at comcast.net>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks all. Problem apparently solved. Shortly after that last
>     message it quit working completely. Reinstall Python 2.7 + swampy ->
>     no good; uninstall both 2.7 and 3.4, manually remove the folders
>     that remained because of scripts that got saved in the base folder,
>     reset sys path, reinstall both, add 2.7 to path, reinstall Swampy
>     from new download -> no good; remove 2.7, new 2.7 dl and install,
>     new Swampy dl and install -> works perfectly this morning.

This will cause no end of fun as you'll be changing the file type.  For
3.4 it should look like this

c:\cpython\PCbuild>assoc .py
.py=Python.File

c:\cpython\PCbuild>ftype python.file
python.file="C:\Windows\py.exe" "%1" %*

If you reinstall 2.7 the file type will point to your 2.7 .exe file.
Reinstall 3.4 it reverts to the py.exe file.  I've also no idea what, if
anything, the different versions do to your path settings.

> Sorry to jump in at the end, but I can't help noticing that something
> important (mentioned earlier in the thread) may have got missed: swampy
> is available from PyPi, which means that there are several automatic
> tools (easy-install, pip, etc.) available to install it for you (and
> presumably make the details work properly.)  With very few exceptions,
> if a module is available from PyPi, the proper way to install it is via
> one of those tools and NOT a manual download.  The fact that you mention
> installing Swampy from a download tells me you're not using those tools
> - am I mistaken?

Looks as if I've got something correct just for once, as in using pypi
:)  Actually if an installation from pypi fails as you've not got the
appropriate VC++ compiler, try this site
http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/  The title might be
"Unofficial Windows Binaries for Python Extension Packages" but just
ignore that, I've never had a problem with anything I've used from there.

> For Windows users, there's pip-win
> (https://sites.google.com/site/pydatalog/python/pip-for-windows).  It's
> not only incredibly simple to use, but it's specifically designed for
> machines with multiple Python versions; so (gulp!) I actually recommend
> the Windows tool over the command-line in this case.

Never heard of it so thanks for the link.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---