[Tutor] idlex

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jun 7 10:19:08 CEST 2014

On 07/06/2014 01:12, Alan Gauld wrote:
> On 06/06/14 23:13, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>> I'd never heard of this until today so thought I'd flag it up for the
>> benefit of anybody who might be interested.  It's at
>> http://idlex.sourceforge.net/
>

> IdleX is cool. They've been trying to get many of the
> features incorporated into core Idle for years. I don't
> follow the discussion closely enough to understand why
> there is so much reluctance to do so. So far as I can
> tell all the changes are good!

Part of the problem was the question of "is this a bug or an enhancement
request?".  That's been resolved via PEP 434
http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0434/

Terry Reedy & Co are doing a lot of work to improve Idle.  GSOC students
are helping again this summer.  Jessica McClellan from the PSF is also
pushing, and Raymond Hettinger has a strong interest as he teaches using
Idle.  Nothing like having a few big guns behind you :)

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---