[Tutor] Simple python help

Marc Tompkins marc.tompkins at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 21:53:17 CEST 2014

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 7:55 AM, Stephen Brazil <stephenb at nmsu.edu> wrote:

>  Hello! I am brand new to python and need to know how to make the attached
> lines of code work. Should be pretty

You need quotes.

Stephen (without quotes) is an object, which you haven't previously
defined.  'Stephen' is a string, which can be compared to person.

Which version of Python are you using?  If it's 2.x, PLEASE don't use
input() - use raw_input() instead.  In 3.x, input() does what raw_input()
used to, so it's cool.

Finally, you're likely to catch some grief for posting your code as a
picture; in future, post code as plain text.  (Sure, we won't see the nifty
syntax highlighting, but that's OK!)  Every single post to this list that's
anything but plain text generates at least one complaint; it significantly
lowers the signal-to-noise ratio.