[Tutor] python libraries online

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Jun 19 16:00:52 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 12:37:17PM +0000, Ian D wrote:

> And I wondered what 'cpython' was when I came across it. I thought
> they might have called it python

Python is the name of the programming languages. There are many
different implementations of that programming language:

- Jython is Python written in Java

- IronPython is Python written for Dot-Net

- PyPy is a high-performance optimizing Just-In-Time compiler for Python

- Stackless is a version of Python that doesn't use the C calling stack

- Nuitka is a static compiler for Python written in C++

- and of course, there is the plain old ordinary "python" you are used
  to, the reference implementation, also called "CPython" because the
  compiler is written in C.

--
Steven