[Tutor] Object instance package wide with Jython 2.7

Jorge L. dalveen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 17:40:39 CEST 2014

To avoid duplicated work: This a cross posting of a SE question:

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/246161/object-attribute-needed-at-package-level-with-python

Let's consider the following scenario.

We have a Python 2.7 package which serves as a library for some scripting
projects. We have a `jli.py` and a `server.py` modules within our package:

___init__.py:

    from jli import JLI
    from server import Server

jli.py:

    class JLI(object):

        def __init__(self)
            pass

        def setup(self):
            # In order for this to work I actually need to set two
attributes of JLI instances based on input
            self.foo = foo

server.py:

    class Server(object)

        def __init__(self, name)
            self.name = name

        def some_operation(self)
            # stuff to be done with JLI.foo

now I want to write the following script:

    from package import JLI, Server

    cli = JLI()
    cli.setup() -> cli.foo is available to use

    serv01 = Server('01')
    serv01.some_operation()

with an arbitrary number of classes like `Server` most of them, needing
`JLI.foo` after `setup()` is called in order to work. I don't want to use
setup twice in the script or doing imports and so forth.

I don't know how to implement this ... any help will be greaty appreciated.