[Tutor] Better way to check *nix remote file age?

Walter Prins wprins at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 23:26:58 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 27 June 2014 12:57, leam hall <leamhall at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 7:41 AM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Raúl Cumplido, 27.06.2014 12:10:
>> > I would recommend you to migrate your Python version for a newer one
>> where
>> > you can use fabric, paramiko or other ssh tools. It would be easier.
>> +1
>>
>> Even compiling it yourself shouldn't be too difficult on Linux.
>>
>> I'm not retro just for the heck of it. There's no reason to avoid Python
> 3.x but sometimes you just have to work with what you have.

I presume you meant this 3.x reference above in a hyperbolic sense e.g. as
to mean "I absolutely can't upgrade the Python version I'm working with, at
all."  Nonetheless, I'd like to just point out, that at one place I work at
one of the servers is also still using Python 2.5.4 with Paramiko without
any problems -- so even a small version upgrade from where you're at might
be enough to enable you to use things you currently cannot.   I realise
that even this might be impossible for you though.

In such a case, (and apologies again if you already know this and it's not
relevant) it's still often possible to have multiple versions of Python
installed in a system, even if just in a user context/account and/or using
something like virtualenv so as to leave the system wide installation
untouched.  E.g. just because an operating system has an old version of
Python installed that absolutely cannot be touched, this doesn't
necessarily mean that a user of the system cannot then have their own set
of application binaries (including a newer version of Python) installed and
use that instead of the system binaries to get their job done.  (Again, I'm
sure you know this already, so apologies if I'm telling you what you
already know and am not helping here.)

> Anyone willing to provide a couple million dollars and 12-18 months of
> free 24/7/365.25 support?

I have to work with four different operating systems and three of the four
> have two versions.

Most might have python installed but some don't.

I'm seriously not clear how these comments related to your question:  In
your original post you talked about a local server and a remote server,
stating that you wanted the local server (with Python) to contact a remote
server..  How does these 4 operating systems you mention factor into your
original question?  Only the local server needs Python.  The remote only
needs SSH.

> My code has to be clean enough that people new to Python can understand it
> when something goes south.

Fair enough.

> Somewhat sorry for the rant. I just get tired of people saying "upgrade"
> when that's not an option.

Fair enough again.  Perhaps try be a bit more explicit about such
non-negotiable constraints in future.  While you mentioned a Python version
in your original question, it wasn't really obvious as being a constraint
and I certainly didn't interpret it as such.

Best wishes,

Walter