[Tutor] educational

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Mar 9 22:35:45 CET 2014

On 09/03/14 19:56, Ben Finney wrote:

> Then I'm further confirmed in my view that ‘from tkinter import *’ is
> dreadful practice, especially for a system we recommend to newcomers.

Its always dreadful practice for production code regardless of the
module. Its OK for playing at the >>> prompt but not much more.

I usually import Tkinter as

import tkinter as tk

> Now all I need is for the Tkinter-using community to change itself to
> fix this confusing practice. I won't hold my breath.

I don't find everyone in the Tkinter community using from tkinter import
*, quite a few use normal practice. But historically I agree
it's been an unfortunate paradigm, Even the IDLE code uses
import * :-(

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site