[Tutor] Help with Guess the number script

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 11 09:49:47 CET 2014

On 11/03/14 07:42, Scott W Dunning wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2014, at 11:18 PM, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:
>
> Where are you guys using the forum?

Personally I use the news feed from Gmane.org
I read it in Thunderbird (or occasionally via a
newsreader on my smartphone/tablet). You can also
read it online in a browser if you must.

> ...someone complained about something that google does
 > and told me to get it through my email.

Its possible to get Google to behave properly but
it seems like its usually easier to switch to a
mail tool... :-(

> That’s what I’m doing now and I get bombarded
> with about 500 emails a day

Not from the tutor list though. It only has a few
mails normally - less than 50 most days.

But you should be abler to set up auto filtering
rules on your mail tool to route all the tutor
mails into a separate folder for reading later.

Also if you turn on threading in your mail tool
for that folder you'll get them grouped by subject.

> I’d rather go though a site to view the forum
 > anyways,

I can never understand why people like web forums,
they are so limited in functionality. But if you
must go that way try the gmane feed. Tutor is
in (with a zillion other Python lists) under
comp.python.tutor.

> it seems way easier then having to sort through
 > hundreds of emails.

See the comments above, also consider digest mode.

> I’m not trying to be rude I’m just wondering,

It's ok, everyone is allowed preferences. :-)

What tends to irritate folks is the HTML content
which different readers display differently.
Especially the indentation which often gets lost.
You need to explicitly go into your mail tool
options and select "plain text" rather than
"rich text" or "HTML" which will likely be the
default.

You can often tell if you don't have plain text
because you will have options to change font,
size, colour etc. You can't do any of that with
plain text. But modern mail tools often make it
very difficult to set plain text, especially
web based ones.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site