[Tutor] Help with Guess the number script

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 12:19:48 CET 2014

On 03/12/2014 05:13 AM, Scott Dunning wrote:

>> >This is the right idea for cutting the line count but you
>> >have the comparison values wrong. Look back to earlier
>> >emails, you are repeating the same error as before.
>> >Manually think through what happens in the line above
>> >if guess == secret.
> Oh, do you mean it should be <= and >=??  I’m not sure why that would work, because if guess==secret I have another statement in my code that takes care of that.  I didn’t want to add my whole code because it’s too long but that is in there.

Such errors are either obvious or invisible. A remedy is often to figure the
problem on paper (or in your head if you're good at thinking visually). Here,
just draw a line segment with secret in the middle and the interval borders
around. Then, write there on the drawing the _values_ of the borders, as
arithmetic expressions.