[Tutor] please help

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 21 22:43:36 CET 2014

On 21/03/14 09:31, Mustafa Musameh wrote:
> Please help. I have been search the internet to understand how to write a
 > simple program/script with python, and I did not do anything.

There are ma y tutorials on how to write Python for every level
of programmer.

What is your level? If you can already program then the official
tutorial on the python.org web site is a good start.

https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/Programmers

and

http://docs.python.org/2/tutorial/
or
http://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/

Depending on wheher you are using Pyton v2 or v3 - there are
significant differences.

If you cannot already program then this project will require quite a bit
of work to learn the basics  before you can start to solve your problem.
For that you should look at the list of tutors for non
programmers(including mine as cited below).

https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers

> I have a file that look like this
>> ID 1
> agtcgtacgt…
>> ID 2
> attttaaaaggggcccttcc
> .

This looks like bioscience? If so there are standard
libraries available to help with processing that.
Once you understand how to write basic Python you
should probably download one of those libraries.

There is a page for bioscientists using Python here:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/python/2002/10/17/biopython.html

If you try one of the tutorials and have specific questions
come back here and we can try to clarify things,

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site