[Tutor] FASTA parsing, biological sequence analysis

Danny Yoo dyoo at hashcollision.org
Tue Mar 25 22:41:20 CET 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 1:30 AM, Jumana yousef <jmmy71 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks Danny, but I need to write my program in python.
> I managed to get it write if I have one header and one sequence.
> Can you please tell me how I can get python to read each sequence (as if it
> is a paragraph in a text) analyse it then go to the next and so on.

Hi Jumana,

Please read:

    http://biopython.org/DIST/docs/tutorial/Tutorial.html#sec2

and let us know if there's anything there that you do not understand.

In particular, Biopython is a library that is written in Python,
developed by bioinformaticists, and has been heavily used and tested.
Unless you are doing something highly unusual and customized, you
should invest some time into using this library.  Reusing the work of
other people is very important to learn: it can lead to less wasted
effort.  I'm trying to head you away from wasting time writing a FASTA
parser.