[Tutor] Final review

Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Thu May 1 12:07:09 CEST 2014

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 7:21 AM, Scott W Dunning <scott.w.d at cox.net> wrote:
> Hello, I am new to python and have a final review coming up and was hoping you could help me answer a few questions I came across while studying.
>

> So, I get a little confused about lists sometimes.  This one is a little hard to make heads or tails of.  I get confused about how to tell how many lists are within one list like the one below.   How many lists are located inside alist is it 1 or 2, 3??

Two: [56, 57, "dog"] and [] (empty).

> Also, do spaces count as an index in lists?

What do you mean by “spaces”, exactly?

alist contains:

0. the integer 3
1. the integer 67
2. the string "cat" ¹
3. the list:
   0. the integer 56
   1. the integer 57
   2. the string "dog" ¹
4. an empty list
5. the float 3.14
6. the boolean False

¹ Your e-mail client uses smart quotes and thus mangles your replies
(it converts U+0022 QUOTATION MARK into U+201C LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION
MARK and U+201D RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK, which are not valid
delimiters for Python strings).

> The ouput for below is 2 when it seems like there should be 3 lists located inside x.  Is it [10,20] that is not consider inside of x?    Any tips on how to tell how to spot them more clearly?

There are two lists in x, and one more list inside a list inside of x:

> x = ['a', [2.0, 5, [10, 20]]]

x contains:

0. the string 'a'
1. the list: