[Tutor] PyCountry currency formatting woes

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 4 22:36:06 CEST 2014

On 04/05/2014 21:25, Sithembewena Lloyd Dube wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a function which accepts an alpha2 country code and a price
> string, where the aim is to get the country's currency and use the
> currency.letter property of that currency to format the supplied price
> string.
>
> The above works fine so far - yet it falls over when called with Germany
> as the country as follows:
>
> currency = pycountry.currencies.get(numeric=country.numeric)
>
> The function implementation is as follows:
>
> def formatPrice(self, alpha2CountryCode, price):
>          """
>          @param alpha2CountryCode: The 2-character country code for
> which to format the price value
>          @param price: The price value as a string
>          @return: A string representing the formatted monetary value for
> this country for this price.
>
>          #Get country by alpha2 code
>          country = pc.countries.get(alpha2=alpha2CountryCode.upper())
>
>          #Get currency by country's numeric and format price
>          currency = pc.currencies.get(numeric=country.numeric)
>          letter = currency.letter
>          formattedCurrency = "%s %s" % (letter, price)
>
>          return formattedCurrency
>
> Any ideas as to what the issue may be?
>
> Thanks :)
>
> --
> Regards,
> Sithu Lloyd Dube

Sorry but this list is aimed at people learning the core Python
language, not a third party module, which I've never heard of
incidentally.  You might get lucky if some regular here has used the
package, but even then "it falls over" isn't too helpful.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---