[Tutor] xml parsing from xml

Neil D. Cerutti neilc at norwich.edu
Wed May 7 22:32:55 CEST 2014

On 5/7/2014 3:49 PM, Stefan Behnel wrote:> Neil D. Cerutti, 07.05.2014
20:04:
 >> In my own personal case, I partly prefer xml.sax simply because it
ignores
 >> namespaces, a nice benefit in my cases. I wish I could make
ElementTree do
 >> that.
 >
 > The downside of namespace unaware parsing is that you never know what you
 > get. It works for some input, but it may also just fail arbitrarily, for
 > equally valid input.
 >
 > One cool thing about ET is that it makes namespace aware processing
easy by
 > using fully qualified tag names (one string says it all).  Most other XML
 > tools (including SAX) require some annoying prefix mapping setup that you
 > have to carry around in order to tell the processor that you are really
 > talking about the thing that it's showing to you.

It's a minor frustration. I don't want to:

index = xml_obj.find(
     "{http://www.ed.gov/FSA/COD/2011/v3.0e}School/"
     "{http://www.ed.gov/FSA/COD/2011/v3.0e}Student/"
     "{http://www.ed.gov/FSA/COD/2011/v3.0e}Index")

ElementTree doesn't obviously make it easier.

I work around it by wrapping the find and findall functions. There's
probably a class I could inherit instead. Or maybe there's an even
better approach.

--
Neil Cerutti