[Tutor] Real world experience

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon May 12 22:55:45 CEST 2014

On 12/05/14 18:47, Danny Yoo wrote:

> practice.  That programming doesn't have to be a solitary thing needs
> to be strongly emphasized, because the media likes to exaggerate,

Yes, This can't be stressed too much. Industrial coding is a team
activity not a solo process.

In fact one well known and respected management book(*) had as a maxiom
- "Beware of the man in a darkened room". What it meant was be
suspicious of the lone wolf coder who doesn't tell you what he'sd doing,
where he's at etc.
His code will likely not work with any one else's (and he'll blame
them of course!) and it will be late because its always 95%
complete...

There are a few lone shark geniuses out there, I've met maybe 2 in
my 40 years in IT. But 99.9% of coders work best in a team.

(*)Software Project Survival Guide by Steve McConnell
(also author of Code Complete etc)
--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site