[Tutor] substituting for time_series, Pandas, Anaconda. Practical Programming, intro Comp Sci, Gries text

Charles Agriesti dragriesti at comcast.net
Wed May 14 21:08:21 CEST 2014

Practical programming, 2nd Edition, Paul Gries, Jennifer Campbell, Jason
Montojo
(Python 3)

P 184, the last half of chapter 10 requires the time_series module,
which is no longer available, apparently replaced by Pandas.

Looked into installing Pandas. Installing Anaconda is supposed to
accomplish that, or help with it.
Install Anaconda, It contains its own Python27, requires uninstall of
old Python 2 . Done.
Anaconda website says it allows easy switching between Python26,
Python27, Python33. I have Python34 installed.
Windows Powershell
C:\Users\Charles
enter: < conda >
(shows a help file which I found less than helpful)
C:\Users\Charles
enter: < ipython notebook>

This opens a browser window  at  http://127.0.0.1:8888/   , clicking
'new notebook' opens an unfamiliar looking ide called ipython notebook.

searching hard drive for pandas found a couple of things that I don't
think are the pandas program. same for scipy and numpy.

Is this Anaconda thing any part of being able to run the scripts from
the textbook with time_series? Is it a complete wild goose chase?
Should I install SciPy? Is Pandas separate from that? Should I install
Python33? Will this conflict with the 27 and 34 already on this computer?
Give up on the Gries book and try a different one?
Thanks in advance if anybody can help.