[Tutor] syntax error with raw input

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 12 18:11:35 CET 2014

On 12/11/14 11:08, Vaibhav Banait wrote:
> Hi
> I am new to python. I learnt (!) using  raw_input a day back. Attempt to
> use has resulted in error. I am not able to spot a problem in syntax. I
> am using python 3.4.2. Kindly help

Looks like you are reading a v2 book/tutorial but using v3.

In v3 several key changes were made to Python including the renaming of
raw_input() to input().

The other big change was making print a function so you now *must* put
parentheses around anything you want to print.

ie

print 'hello'  # Python v2

becomes

print('hello')   # python v3

There are numerous other small changes so it would be better for you to
either find a v3 tutorial (you could try mine! :-) or install Python
v2.7 while you are learning.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site