[Tutor] How python keeps track of objects

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Sun Nov 23 17:07:27 CET 2014

Please don't top-post.  Trim the quoted portion to the parts you're
responding to, and put your response immediately after (each) section
you're commenting on.

Also, you're posting in html.  That's not always a problem, but it often
is, depending on the vagaries of your email program.  Just tell it you
want text format for your messages here, and we'll all see the same thing.

On 11/23/2014 10:15 AM, Mitch Raful wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.   My concern was as the for loop keeps sending
> objects into the do_something() function which uses the same reference name
> other_object and that the previously instantiated other_objected would be
> mutated if the function wasn't finished.

I can't process that.  I don't know what you're asking.

> Or do all languages keep each
> call to a function in its own memory space and there is not a collision?.

No such statement for "all languages," as there are tens of thousands of
them, at least.  And certainly there are some that support implicit
concurrency via something like  "for all" meaning "you may do all of
these in parallel if you like, and I promise that order doesn't matter".

In Python, however, the function as you had it in the original message
returns to the for loop before it gets called again.  So there's only
one instance of the stack frame.

Three ways there can be multiple stack frames for the same function:

1) the function calls itself, directly or indirectly
2) you have multithreading
3) you have multiprocessing

In all of these cases, the name other_object is unambiguously replicated
in each instance of the stack frame.  And each version of that can be
bound to an independent object.

> Since, in my case, do_something() actually occurs over a network and I use
> the logging module, I noticed the responses come in whatever order they
> have completed and not the order that do_something is called.

Then you are not just doing a simple function call.  You're doing some
form of asynchronous I/O, either by threading, or by non-blocking I/O.
In either case, your original example doesn't begin to represent what
you're doing.

The "responses come in" imply that somewhere you're polling for those
show below).

> I also have
> another function that downloads the resulting files on the devices that
> do_something() has them generate.   To get all of this to look orderly in a
> log output, I did this...
>
> for object in objects:
>      t0 = Thread( target=do_something, args=(object,))
>      t0.start()
>      t1 = Thread( target=get_files, args=(object, backup_dir))
>     t1.start()
>
> As to whether I read this somewhere, I wish I could blame a publication.
> Alas, I came up with 'beauty' on my own.

Once you launch a second thread, you have to worry about when it's done
updating the corresponding item in objects.  So somewhere you probably
want a wait() call.

Anyway, the need for threads is triggered by my point 1), a need to
continue your loop without waiting for the first operation to complete.
  It doesn't happen to be the user interface that's causing it, but the
network.  You've decided that you want to start multiple network
operations without waiting for the first to complete.  That's easiest
done with threads.

--
DaveA