[Tutor] Is there an easy way to center the root window (Tkinter) within the display?

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 17:39:06 CET 2014

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 9:58 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 12:25:23PM -0600, boB Stepp wrote:
>
>> As I am the only person in our
>> group with any programming knowledge (weak though it is), this means I
>> usually wind up trying to solve issues as they arise. These client
>> machines are dedicated to a single purpose: radiation therapy
>> treatment planning.
>
> No offense intended Bob, but this scares me. I know you're trying your
> best, but "weak programming knowledge" and "radiation therapy" is not a
> healthy combination.

Believe me, I think about this constantly!

The planning software we use is FDA approved. My add-on
programs/scripts generally automate repetitive tasks to save the
planner much by hand work. The other types of plans take the results
of the plan and create a visual display to flag things we might want
to look at more closely. Or send printouts of the plan in pdf format
from the Solaris 10 planning environment to where they need to wind up
on our Window's based record and verify software server. Or similar
things that do not alter the plan itself. That is the important point:
They do not alter the treatment plan.

When I have something ready to use we check everything by hand for at
least a couple of weeks. Medical physics evaluates my software as
well. For anything remotely critical that might influence the
evaluation of a plan, we do monthly QA to verify the constancy of the
underlying data and calculations in case something we are potentially
unaware of has changed. I constantly exhort my colleagues to use my
scripts with a critical eye and report immediately anything, however,
slight that is unusual and unexpected. I test and I test and I worry
and I worry... But so far these efforts have not only saved time, but
caught and prevented errors that might otherwise would have needed to
be caught farther down in the review process. Now they get caught at
the planning level and never even come close to getting further. The
scripts generally either prevent the dosimetrist from forgetting to do
something, make him aware of something he should examine more closely
that he might not otherwise catch, and reduce the routine grunt-work
burden.

> I trust you are aware of the Therac-25 disaster?

I have not looked at that particular one (But will now.), but can cite
many more, especially those very recent. The New York Times not long
ago ran a series of articles about this topic.

--
boB