[Tutor] VERY basic question

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 2 00:06:15 CEST 2014

On 01/10/14 22:34, Stefan St-Hilaire wrote:

>  >>> input("\n\nPress the enter key to exit.")
>

> Press the enter key to exit.
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>    File "<string>", line 0
>
>      ^
> SyntaxError: unexpected EOF while parsing
>

> I am using Linux (Shell) and PyCharm and get the same result when I run
> the command. I know this is stupid but any help would be appreciated.

Can you tell us more about how you run  this in the Linux shell?

You start Python by typing 'python' at a bash shell?

You get the >>> prompt appearing?

You type input("\n\nPress the enter key to exit.") at the >>> prompt?

You get the

Press the enter key to exit.

prompt?

What do you actually hit then - which specific key(s)?

You then see the error message?

Is that right?
I can't reproduce the exact error message you are seeing,
that's why I'm asking for the details...

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site