[Tutor] (no subject)

Martin A. Brown martin at linux-ip.net
Fri Oct 10 02:13:51 CEST 2014

Hi there and welcome!

> import maths;
> decibel = math.log10 (17.0);
> angle = 1.5;
> height = math.sin(angle);
> print height;
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "C:/Python27/test", line 1, in <module>
>    import maths;
> ImportError: No module named maths

Oops!  It's a nice error report, though!  Python tried to locate a
module called 'maths' and was not able to find it.

What happens if you try:

   import math

N.B.  You say 'import maths'--assume that this import succeeded.  A
few lines later, there's a line 'math.log10(17.0)' which seems to be
trying to use something from a module called 'math' not 'maths'.

> I don't know what I'm doing wrong?

Computers are so picky.

> From what I've read the maths module is supposed to come with the python
> installation package.

The 'math' library is a standard library module for quite awhile
now.  Here's a possibly useful online link, which describes that
module:

   https://docs.python.org/2/library/math.html

This is just more documentation support, in addition to the book you
are reading.

> I'm using a windows 8 operating system
> python 2.7.8
> please help?

One other issue I might point out.  The semicolon at the end of the
line (statement) is a feature of other programming languages with
which you may be familiar (C, Java, Perl), but it is not necessary
and, in fact, discouraged in Python.

So, rid yourself of the semicolons and enjoy the benefits of a
trivially cleaner syntax.

Enjoy!

-Martin

P.S. Thanks for your clear question and letting us know your OS and
Python version, as well.

--
Martin A. Brown
http://linux-ip.net/