[Tutor] alternative Python 2.6 install?

Albert-Jan Roskam fomcl at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 10 13:08:49 CEST 2014

----- Original Message -----

Ok, I decided to take the altinstall route anyway. I am now a getting message 'failed to find necessary bits to build these modules', even though  I did install a whole bunch of packages (zlib1g is the first one that causes problems). Does anyone know how to solve this? I don't understand why e.g. 'zlib' still is missing while I clearly installed it!

Alternatively: which Ubuntu (or Debian) version was the last version to use Python 2.6? I could simply install it in VirtualBox... Lame, but I am in kind of a hurry.

This is what I did (outcommented lines are what won't work, or commands that are pointless at this point):

sudo apt-get install libsqlite3-dev libbz2-dev libgdbm-dev libncurses5-dev tk-dev zlib1g-dev
wget https://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.8/Python-2.6.8.tgz
tar -zxvf Python-2.6.8.tgz
cd Python-2.6.8/
./configure --prefix=/usr/local
make  # [a] see 'failed stuff' below
#sudo make altinstall
#mkvirtualenv -p /usr/local/bin/python2.6 python26  # ImportError: No module named zlib
#workon python26
#pip install mysql-python

# [a] Failed stuff
Failed to find the necessary bits to build these modules:
_bsddb             _curses            _curses_panel
_hashlib           _sqlite3           _ssl
bsddb185           bz2                dbm
dl                 gdbm               imageop
linuxaudiodev      ossaudiodev        readline
sunaudiodev        zlib
To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the module's name.

Failed to build these modules:
crypt              nis

running build_scripts
creating build/scripts-2.6
copying and adjusting /home/albertjan/Downloads/Python-2.6.8/Tools/scripts/pydoc -> build/scripts-2.6
copying and adjusting /home/albertjan/Downloads/Python-2.6.8/Tools/scripts/idle -> build/scripts-2.6
copying and adjusting /home/albertjan/Downloads/Python-2.6.8/Tools/scripts/2to3 -> build/scripts-2.6
copying and adjusting /home/albertjan/Downloads/Python-2.6.8/Lib/smtpd.py -> build/scripts-2.6
changing mode of build/scripts-2.6/pydoc from 644 to 755
changing mode of build/scripts-2.6/idle from 644 to 755
changing mode of build/scripts-2.6/2to3 from 644 to 755
changing mode of build/scripts-2.6/smtpd.py from 644 to 755

thanks in advance!

Albert-Jan