[Tutor] yet another misunderstanding on my part

Clayton Kirkwood crk at godblessthe.us
Wed Oct 22 06:54:49 CEST 2014

__author__ = 'SYSTEM'

import string

#Pricing                Dividends

raw_table = ('''

a: Ask    y: Dividend Yield

b: Bid     d: Dividend per Share

b2: Ask (Realtime)           r1: Dividend Pay Date

b3: Bid (Realtime)            q: Ex-Dividend Date

p: Previous Close

o: Open

import re, string

col_position, code, description = 0, [], []

key_name = raw_table.replace('\t','\n')

for each_line in  key_name.splitlines():

    if ':' in each_line:

       code[col_position], description.append()  = each_line.split(':')
#neither works; first one is out of range error, 2nd, can't assign to

#function. I've used square brackets around various sections, and it doesn't
like it

        c, d = each_line.split(':')
#this works

        code[col_position] =  each_line.split(':')        #why doesn't this.
It looks like what is in the tutorial 5.1. I get out of range error

        code.append(c)
#part of the first 'this works' line

        code[col_position] = 5
#this works, yet I am using the same col_position element

        description.append(d)

        print( col_position, code[col_position], description[col_position])

        col_position += 1

I've seen an example of description.strip() work from a for in loop
assignment with out the can't assign to function.

I'd like to see something like:

code[col_position].strip(), description[col_position].stripe() =
each_line.split(':')

but for some reason, the [col_position] doesn't work, and I can't strip().

What am I not seeing? I *do* spend hours trying different options, and study
various documentation which confuse me and don't seem consistent.

Thanks,

Clayton