[Tutor] subprocess.Popen basics

Adam Jensen hanzer at riseup.net
Tue Oct 28 02:05:50 CET 2014

On 10/27/2014 07:12 PM, Alan Gauld wrote:
> On 27/10/14 18:24, Adam Jensen wrote:
>> It hangs at the print statement and, from the sound of the fans in the
>> computer, I suspect it spirals off into an infinite loop somewhere
>
> It works fine on my Lubuntu 14 with Python3.4.
>
> How exactly are you running it? If I don't make parrot.sh executable
> I get a permission error. But definitely no hang-ups.
>
> Are you using an IDE by any chance? That can often do strange things.

Thanks for giving it a try. The mailing list moderation delay is making
an interactive conversation a bit difficult. My current theory is that
there is something wrong with the python3 installation on my CentOS-6.5
machine. I'm rebuilding from source now and I will definitely have a
close look at the build logs this time and, of course, the test suite logs.

When writing scripts, I've been using gedit or vi (depending on the
machine I'm using), or I interact directly with the python interpreter
(through a terminal). I've tinkered with IPython and Spyder but for now
(while learning) they mostly just seem to introduce an unnecessary layer
of complexity and obfuscation.

the sense that they do what I expected them to do). I got them to run on
OpenBSD without any problems. I don't know why my python3.4 build on
CentOS6.5 is so wonky. After getting a clean python build from source
(sometime tonight or tomorrow), hopefully the problem will go away. If
not, I guess it will become a bug hunt.