[Tutor] Command Line Editting: How to improve options?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 2 10:10:02 CEST 2015

On 02/04/15 07:36, J L wrote:
>   Win 7Python v 3.4.3

> After launching Python from the command line with py.exe, it appears that the interrupter starts up fine.

Thats interpreter, not interrupter. It interprets your commands.

> I've read on Python.Org's site in a tutorial section that some interrupters
 > offer command line editing

The easiest way for you to get that is to use IDLE, the development tool
for Python. There should be a menu entry on your OS to launch
IDLE (sometimes called 'Python GUI').

The IDLE interactive shell allows you to use cut n paste, as well as
keys such as Alt-UP/DOWN to cycle through history etc.

You can get most of these features in the Windows CMD.exe too but you
need to set some registry entries. Typing HELP CMD at the OS prompt
brings up a long page describing the features you can choose to
turn on and how.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site