[Tutor] Request review: A DSL for scraping a web page

Joe Farro joe.farro at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 17:08:22 CEST 2015

Thanks, Peter.

Peter Otten <__peter__ <at> web.de> writes:

> Can you give a real-world example where your DSL is significantly cleaner
> than the corresponding code using bs4, or lxml.xpath, or lxml.objectify?

Yes, definitely. Will work something up.

> Your code on github looks good to me (too few docstrings), but like Alan I'm
> not prepared to read it completely. Do you have specific questions?

Well, the questions raised (how is it an upgrade) are great food for thought.
The idea and effort were born from legitimate frustrations, but it's not
exactly battle-tested, yet. I'll work up a few examples (the first to
come, shortly). But, great to know nothing immediately disastrous
jumps out in the code. I do have specific questions, but first I want
to work up the use-case, if that looks weak, the other concerns
might be a non-issue.