[Tutor] Request review: A DSL for scraping a web page

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 21:32:25 CEST 2015

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 2:49 PM, Albert-Jan Roskam
<fomcl at yahoo.com.dmarc.invalid> wrote:

> -----------------------------
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 1:17 PM CEST Alan Gauld wrote:
>
>>On 02/04/15 12:09, Dave Angel wrote:
>>
>>> Ah, Jon Bentley (notice the extra 'e').  I should dig out my *Pearls
>>> books, and have a trip down memory lane.  I bet 95% of those are still
>>> useful, even if they refer to much earlier versions of language(s).
>>
>>Yes, the Pearls books should be required reading for all new programmers. The lessons are pretty timeless, it's only the
>>languages that change - and most of his examples seem to be
>>in a kind of pseudo Pascal dialect rather than real code anyway.
>>
>>I believe they've been re-released as a single volume now.
>
> Is this the book you are referring to?
> http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Pearls-2nd-Edition-Bentley/dp/0201657880

This thread inspired me to order both books from Amazon. The one
linked to above by Alan is an expanded and somewhat rewritten edition
of the original. It does NOT include "More Programming Pearls". I just
today received my copy of "Programming Pearls, 2nd ed."  To quote from
part of the author's preface of "Programming Pearls, 2nd ed.":

"To Readers of the First Edition

     I hope that your first response as you thumb through this edition
of the book is, 'This sure looks familiar.' A few minutes later, I
hope that you'll observe, 'I've never seen that before.'
     This version has the same focus as the first edition, but is set
in a larger context. Computing has grown substantially in important
areas such as databases, networking and user interfaces. Most
programmers should be familiar users of such technologies. At the
center of each of those areas, though, is a hard core of programming
problems. Those programs remain the theme of this book. This edition
of the book is a slightly larger fish in a much larger pond.
     ..."

HTH
--
boB