[Tutor] Need some help with setuptools for my project.

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Apr 8 06:23:19 CEST 2015

On 08Apr2015 08:53, Anubhav Yadav <anubhav1691 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>Note the ":" before main, not ".".
>
>That's it, that fixed the problem. Now I have a scorer binary.

No, you have a "scorer" executable which is a script. A "binary" is a loadable
machine code file.

>Thanks. A
>couple of more questions!
>
>1) If I have install_requires in setup.py, then do I need requirements.txt?

Probably not? I don't use this yet myself.

>2) Can I run ``python setup.py install`` or ``python setup.py develop``
>with root privileges? Just to test the app first?

Yes, but I would discourage it. It is too easy to tread on your platform's
supplier packages this way. That can be bad, especially if you break something
important for your OS.

Instead, I would advocate making a virtualenv iin your home directory into
which you install your packages. You can make as many as you like.

After you've made a virtualenv, running the "pip" it supplies will install into
the virtualenv. Much safer, and you can do it all as yourself.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

I made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make it
shorter.        - Pascal