[Tutor] migrating python to a new machine

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 8 09:50:53 CEST 2015

On 08/04/15 01:52, Jim Mooney wrote:
> General question. I'm thinking of moving to a new machine although I hate
> to abandon trusty XP.

If you plan to stick with Windows check out ClassicShell.
You'll feel right at home. :-)

> Will I have to reinstall all my pip installed modules
> or can I just copy the site-packages directory?

I think that will work. You will need to reinstall Python
itself to get the registry set up but I think the stuff
that Python installs is safe to just copy across.

> Finally, is there such a thing as a standalone Python?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. But if its a Python
that you can install/run on a USB stick, say, then yes,
there are several options available. Google is your
friend...

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site