[Tutor] Pun panic, was Re: calling a method directly

Martin A. Brown martin at linux-ip.net
Tue Apr 21 16:09:51 CEST 2015

Good morning underscore underscore Peter underscore underscore,

>> ...     def lower(self): return "moo"
>
> If you can't make sense of that: at the time of writing I thought
> that "lowering" was a synonym for "mooing".  After a look into the
> dictionary it turns out to be "lowing", not "lowering". Sorry!

I, too, assumed an amusingly random example.  I simply imagined a
maladjusted bovine Lisa suspended ominously beneath the clouds.
Your Lisa must not be just a lowing (synonym 'mooing') cow, she must
also be a lowering cow.

   to lower (v.i.), to be or become dark, gloomy, and threatening
     (which is cognate to the contemporary German word 'lauern')

And, I dairy not chase this pun any further....

-Martin

  [0] http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lower

--
Martin A. Brown