[Tutor] name shortening in a csv module output

Jim Mooney cybervigilante at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 01:15:39 CEST 2015

So is there any way to sniff the encoding, including the BOM (which appears
to be used or not used randomly for utf-8), so you can then use the proper
encoding, or do you wander in the wilderness?

Pretty much guesswork.

Alan Gauld
--
This all sounds suspiciously like the old browser wars I suffered while
webmastering. I'd almost think Microsoft had a hand in it ;')  If utf-8 can

Since I am reading opinions that the BOM doesn't even belong in utf-8, can
I assume just using utf-8-sig as my default encoding, even on a non-BOM
file, would do no harm?

Jim