[Tutor] How to use Git from Windows PC for files on Solaris machine where Git cannot be installed?

Albert-Jan Roskam fomcl at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 29 19:04:41 CEST 2015

------------------------------
On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 4:21 PM CEST boB Stepp wrote:

>I now have Git installed on my Windows 7 PC at work. The files that I
>wish to put under Git version control exist on a Solaris 10
>workstation. In the Git bash provided, I can ssh into the Solaris 10
>machine. I also can the CuteFTP program on my Windows PC to
>move/copy/etc. files between the two machines. How can I put these
>Solaris files under version control under these circumstances? I
>thought I had conceptually seen how to accomplish this via ssh, but if
>it is doable, my limited knowledge of Git and ssh is insufficient to
>find the path of success.

Uhmm, I'd (1) open a Github or Bitbucket account (2) ssh to the solaris machine (3) install git if needed (4) clone your repo (which has just the readme file at this point) (5) fill the local files, git add what you want to track, the git commit and git push. (6) in windows you can use msysgit to connect to your remote repo.

But uhhm, this is not Python at all ;-)

Albert-Jan