[Tutor] How to use Git from Windows PC for files on Solaris machine where Git cannot be installed?

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Wed Apr 29 19:52:33 CEST 2015

Glad things are going better.
Next step.  Can you get git running on your solaris machines?  Easiest is
if it is already installed .... or if the powers that be will install it
for you.

But if not, you ought to be able to build your own git from source
and run it on your Solaris machines.

This link

http://joemaller.com/908/how-to-install-git-on-a-shared-host/

is a discription of how somebody did it for Fedora linux.  However, if
you run into trouble trying to do this, you need to talk to somebody
who knows how gcc works on solaris, and where all the dependencies
are, and what whatever error messages you are getting mean.  Ideally
you would have somebody who knows about git, too.  That person
isn't me.  And I don't think that the python-tutor mailing list is the
optimal place to look for such a person.  I'd try some solaris list.
Make sure that whoever you talk to knows that you don't have root access
which is why you are building git from source in the first place, and
gets a copy of exactly what you typed when you tried to build it, and
exactly what you got back in terms of error messages, and output, pasted
in, and not a summary of what you think that those error messages meant.

Best of luck,
Laura