[Tutor] How to use Git from Windows PC for files on Solaris machine where Git cannot be installed?

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 05:10:02 CEST 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 9:40 PM, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
> On 29Apr2015 12:12, boB Stepp <robertvstepp at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> ... (3) install git if needed ...
>>

>> It seems Git is needed, but I am not allowed to install it on the
>> Solaris workstation. So is there a way around this?
>

> What do you mean by "install"? Bear in mind that while you may be forbidden
> from installing git in the main areas (/usr, /usr/local, whatever), you may
> be free to install it in your own home directory. It is just an
> executable...

On the smart enterprise where we (now) do our clinical planning they
are very strict: no installing any external software; no accessing the
Internet; no email; etc. Not all centers adhere to this level of
strictness, but ours does. To be honest, I am surprised they allow me
to do the programming I do, but so far it has been all pluses and no
minuses, and for those dosimetrists who choose to use the tools I have
developed, they are more productive than they would be doing things by
hand.

Now the 810X Solaris workstation that was retired when we went to
smart enterprise is *mine* and they really don't care anymore what I
do with it. When it was being used for actual clinical planning, it
had its Internet access disabled, etc. I have since restored it, so I
could install software now, including Git. But I am reluctant to do
anything that I am not allowed to replicate on smart enterprise. I am
trying to keep it as close to identical to the actual clinical
environment as I can. Perhaps this is misguided on my part? As always,
I welcome your thoughts. It could be I am being unnecessarily cautious
in regards to the 810X, but as has been pointed out there is much I do
not know, so my motto is to first ensure I do no harm...

--
boB