[Tutor] How to effectively use a Student class with SQLite [Was Re: How to design object interactions with an SQLite db?]

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 15:03:32 CEST 2015

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 4:49 AM, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:

> You've found the 'variety of parents' problem.  Listing the parents'
> names will only let your wife know she has the correct student if she
> habitually thinks of the parent names when she thinks of the student.

This came to mind because currently, even with three grades in the
same classroom, the total number of students tends to be small
compared to traditional schools.  Also, Montessori parents seem on
average to be very active in their comms with the teacher.  But...

> I suspect her internal labelling is more likely to be along the lines
> of 'the short one', 'the one who plays the cello', 'the one who used
> to have difficulty reading' and 'the one whose water-pistol I
> confiscated in the first week of class'.
>
> So you may be better off letting the teacher specify some tags she can use
> and apply to any student, which can be of use when you need to
> tell one student from another, and the name just isn't doing it for you.
> (Perhaps because you have several students with that name, but also because
> this is a student you taught many years ago.  The name is vaguely
> familiar but the details have blurred over time.  "Water-Pistol" will
> evoke better memories than parents' name in this case, as if you can
> barely remember the child you most likely have lost the parents altogether.)

... I have been thinking in terms of only my wife using the software.
If I have the good (or mis-) fortune to create a successful and utile
bit of software, I might find others using the program.  So your
points suggest I should look for a more flexible approach that any
potential user will find effective.

--
boB