[Tutor] pip install in a virtualenv *without* internet?

Albert-Jan Roskam sjeik_appie at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 18 22:10:15 CEST 2015

Hi,

I use Python(x y) (Python 2.7) on Win7. I need a higher version of openpyxl, because pandas.Dataframe.to_excel yields an error. So pandas and its own dependencies (e.g. numpy) could remain in the python(x y) site-packages, I just need a higher version of openpyxl without disturbing the x,y installation (I do not even have rights to install stuff there!)

So I would like to pip install a openpyxl AND its specific dependencies in a virtualenv.
The problem is that I can't use pip to download the packages from Pypi because I do not have a regular internet connection. Is there a generic way to install a package and its (pre-downloaded) dependencies, a way that requires little or no modifications to the original package?
Using pip 'editable' might help: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15031694/installing-python-packages-from-local-file-system-folder-with-pip. I am hoping requirements.txt might somehow be used to install the dependencies from a local location --but how?

Thanks!

Albert-Jan