[Tutor] assignment sign definition

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Tue Dec 1 05:27:02 EST 2015

In a message of Tue, 01 Dec 2015 05:04:15 +0000, jo stone via Tutor writes:
>Hello,
>I am trying to teach myself Python, and got hung up on the definition of Assignment signs...The explination I have is:
>"A good way to understand the statement userAge = 0 is to think of it as userAge <- 0."
>
>I read this as "userAge is less than minus 0"    which make absolutely NO sense to me...
>Could someone please put this into terms I can understand?
>
>Thanks!

The author of that tutorial does not want you to think using thoughts
like the word equal.  He or she thinks that if you see a line like
'a = 0' you will think 'a is equal to 0' and that is exactly what he
or she does not want you to do.  'You had the thought 'equal'.  Bad
thought.  Don't have it!'

So he or she thinks that the language would be better if, in using
assigments, there was some other symbol to use.

He or she would like "a ⇦ 0" instead.  That is the unicode symbol U21e6
in there, between the a and the 0.  It looks like an arrow that points
to the left.

But, since the author doesn't have access to unicode for some reason
he or she decided to fake an arrow by '<-'  which sort of liiks like
an arrow in some fonts.

Make sense?

Laura