[Tutor] Image MAnipulation Help

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 8 05:40:07 EST 2015

On 08/12/15 07:39, Ilesha Wise wrote:
> Hello, I wasnt sure if this is the email address I should be sending this
> to.

Its a fair starting point but you will probably get more detailed
answers on the PIL/PILLOW forums since those are the packages
you will likely be using for this kind of work. (Pillow is
for v2/v3, The original PIL for v2 only.)

There are some image manipulation packages in the SciPy/Kit bundles too.

And of course the venerable ImageMagick modules may help too.

Finally the psd-tools package will be useful if you are using
Photoshop files.

>  Scanned photos and slides often have dust specs, water marks, scratches
> etc. Automate their removal as much as possible and/or provide a simple way
> for the viewer to direct the program as to where to make corrections.
>   Images often have a high contrast (bright sky, dark horizon). Help the
> image by making the sky more blue (with any detectable clouds, birds, etc.
> remaining) and improve the contrast of the other portion of the image.

I assume you already have a graphics background and know the theory
behind doing all this? ie You are not just a raw beginner?
If so then the libraries mentioned above should get you started.

> Additional grading basis:
>
>  The user interface for solving these issues.

Pick a UI framework (there are many) and build it.

>   A decent (note, not perfect) improvement in the images.
>  Your management of color, averaging, etc.

You are pretty much on your own for these I suspect
("decent improvement" is of course entirely subjective)

HTH

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site