[Tutor] interface

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 14 17:25:29 EST 2015

On 14/12/2015 21:48, Alex Kleider wrote:
> So far all my python programming has been done using print for output and
> (raw)input whenever user input is required.  I'd like to learn how to
> provide a graphical interface.  There are several choices with pros and
> cons to each but an alternative more general approach might be to use a
> web based interface which I believe would make the code less platform
> dependent.

I'd say your belief is simply wrong, many Python desktop GUIs are cross
platform.  I'd start with tkinter as it's available with Python, there
are loads of tutorials available for it and you'll be able to get advice
here or on the main Python mailing list.

> I'd be interested in any comments regarding this idea and would be
> grateful for any suggestions as to frameworks that might be helpful.
> I've been looking at django but finding the learning curve to be steep
> and it may not be the best solution.

Django strikes me as pure overkill for your needs.  If you must go down
the web route I'd start here https://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks
at the section headed "Popular Non Full-Stack Frameworks".

> Of late I've been using Python3; my platform is Ubuntu 14.4.
>
> Thanks in advance for any guidance.
>
> Alex

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence