[Tutor] interface

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Dec 20 20:51:59 EST 2015

On 20/12/15 20:00, Alex Kleider wrote:

>> But because Tix is a superset of Tkinter I rarely use
>> raw Tkinter nowadays I usually just start with Tix.
>
> Thanks for the background insight.
> How does Ttk (T for 'themed' I assume) fit in? is it used in addition to
> Tix

Yes. Tkinter and Tix both share the same look n feel
and are just collections of widgets.

Ttk is a smaller set of widgets but uses the style of the
native toolkit(or at least a much closer approximation
than Tkinter). Personally the look of Tk doesn't offend
me that much so I rarely bother using ttk, but if you
plan on sharing apps with folks who live and breath Windows
or Mac then they might feel more comfortable with
ttk buttons/menus. But it does need an extra
import/reference beyond Tkinter or Tix.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site